Saturday, December 8, 2012

Spiritual Exercises and Heavenly Promises


Spiritual Exercises and Heavenly Promises

September 8 – The Feast of Our Lady’s Nativity

Gertrude once asked what reward those would receive who celebrated this feast with fervor.

Mary Answered: “They will merit a special share in the joys which I possess in heaven, and in the virtues with which the most glorious Trinity adorns me!

Uniting our Sufferings to Christ

St. Gertrude suffered during the greater part of her life.  Once when she was confined to bed by illness, this consoling revelation was imparted to her:

“Whoever in his trials and adversities unites himself with My sufferings, and strives to imitate My patience and resignation, will truly repose on My Heart and participate in all the merits of My life.”

Bodily and spiritual afflictions are the surest sign of Divine predilection, yea, even a mark of the espousal of the soul with God.  Gratitude for suffering is a precious jewel for our heavenly crown.

Looking at the Crucifix

After she had devoutly touched a crucifix St. Gertrude learned a holy truth. “ … If anyone only looks at the image of the Cross of Jesus Christ with a holy intention, God rewards him with such goodness and mercy that he receives in his soul, as in a spotless mirror, an image which is so agreeable that the whole court of Heaven delights therein; and this serves to increase his eternal glory in the life to come in proportion as he has practiced this act of devotion in this life.”

Jesus once said to St. Gertrude: 

“It is very agreeable to Me to see thee thus honoring the Crucifix.  It is always an effect of Divine grace when men’s eyes meet the Image on the Cross, and never once do they rest upon it, but their soul is benefited.

The oftener they do this here on earth with reverence and love, the greater will be their reward in heaven. “

Whenever you Kiss My image, I in turn kiss you; whenever you press My image to your heart, I in turn press you to My heart; whenever you think of me, I in turn think of you.  Indeed, you are always in My thoughts, but at these times I think of you with a special love and devotion.”

Sighs of Love and Tears of Devotion

With heartfelt grief, I sigh while considering Your Holy Passion, O Lord, and I beg You to wound my heart with the arrow of Your love.

“Whenever anyone sighs towards Me with love in meditating on My Passion, it is as though he gently touched My wounds with a fresh-budding rose, and I wound his heart in return with the arrow of My Love. Moreover, if he sheds tears of devotion over My Passion, I will accept them as though he had suffered for Me.”  - Our Lord to St. Mechtilde

“Ask My Father for as many souls as I shed drops of Blood during My Passion.” - Our Lord to Sr. Mary of St. Peter

The Hour of Great Mercy

Dear Jesus, this is the hour of grace for the whole world, in which mercy triumphed over justice, in virtue of your Passion I ask for the grace of…. (Intentions)

Promise:  During a vision of the Divine Mercy devotion, Our Lord said to Sr. Faustina, “At three o’clock implore My mercy especially for sinners; and if only for a brief moment, immerse yourself in my Passion, particularly in My abandonment at the moment of agony.  This is the hour of great mercy for the whole world…  In this hour I will refuse nothing to the soul that makes a request of Me in virtue of My Passion.”

Later He added, “… as often as you hear the clock strike the third hour, immerse yourself completely in My mercy, adoring and glorifying it; invoke its omnipotence for the whole world, and particularly for poor sinners; for at that moment mercy was opened wide for every soul.   In this hour you can obtain everything for yourself and for others for the asking: it was the hour of grace for the whole world – mercy triumphed over justice.” 

The Reception of Holy Communion

“It is a time honored custom that one who has twice held the office of governor excels in honor him who has filled the office him who has filled the office but once.  Likewise, they shall be more glorious in heaven who shall have received Me oftener on earth…  - Our Lord to St. Gertrude

The Blessed Virgin Mary

What would be most pleasing to Thee at this moment, O  Lord?  St. Gertrude once inquired.  “What does thou desire of me?”

“Place thyself before my mother who reigns at my side, and endeavor to praise her.”  Following this advice Gertrude greeted the heavenly Mother as the paradise of delights, the most beautiful habitation of God.

She also learned from the blessed Virgin that whenever anyone piously greets her with these words: “O radiant Lily of the ever-peaceful Trinity!  O resplendent rose of heavenly charm!”  Mary bestows favors upon him according to her power, through the omnipotence of the Father, the wisdom of the Son and the benignity of the Holy Spirit.

Offering Our Corporeal Necessities

‘Whoever offers Me the satisfaction of his corporal necessities such as eating, drinking, sleeping, etc, saying in his heart or with his lips, ‘Lord, I take this food’ (or whatever it may be) in union with the love with which You performed the like actions when on earth, for the glory of Your Father and the salvation of men’…. Each time he makes his offering in union with My divine Love, he presents Me with a strong shield to protect Me against the insults and outrages of sinners.” – St. Gertrude

Offering our Actions

‘From time to time during the day, repeat a little phrase such as: ‘This is for You, my Jesus’ It will warm your heart and bring balm to mine.’


Before ever act, before entering or leaving a room or before any activity, simply say Jesus’ and I will accept it as a dedication.” 


Simply say: Jesus’ when ever you make an error, or are cold.  I will accept the suffering as borne for My sake.”


Sacrifice Prayer

Our Lady of Fatima said: Sacrifice yourselves for sinners, and say many times, especially when you make some sacrifice:

O Jesus it is for love of Thee, for the conversion of sinners, and in reparation for the sins committed against the Immaculate Heart of Mary. 

After Falling into Sin

St. Gertrude said to our Lord: Teach me, O best of Teachers, how to efface the stains of sin, which I contract from time to time. She received this answer: Never allow these stains to remain upon thy conscience; but as soon as thou feelest thyself defiled by any fault, say to Me with a devout heart: 

O CHRIST Jesus, my only Salvation and Hope, grant that all my transgressions may be blotted out by Thine most efficacious death. Amen. 

In Reparation for Blasphemy


“Oh, if you only knew what great merit you acquire by saying even once, “Admirable is the Name of God,” in the spirit of reparation for blasphemy!” Our Lord to Sr. Mary of St. Peter.

Photo taken from Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in our blog! Your comment will be viewed shortly to be added to our blog. :)