Thursday, December 20, 2012

Mercy Quotes


Quotes on Mercy by the Catholic Saints

Because of our good Lord's tender love to all those who shall be saved, he quickly comforts them saying, "The cause of all this pain is sin. But all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well." These words were said so kindly and without a hint of blame.So how unjust it would be for me to blame God for allowing my sin when he does not blame me for falling into it.  -- Blessed Julian of Norwich

How can I bear this life of misery unless You comfort me with Your mercy and grace? Do not turn Your face from me. Do not delay Your visitation. --Imitation of Christ

Let souls who are striving for perfection particularly adore My mercy, because the abundance of graces which I grant them flows from My mercy. I desire that these souls distinguish themselves by boundless trust in My mercy. I myself will attend to the sanctification of such souls. I will provide them with everything they will need to attain sanctity. (1578) --St Faustina, Divine Mercy in my Soul

And even if the sins of soul are as dark as night, when the sinner turns to My mercy he gives Me the greatest praise and is the glory of My Passion. (378) --St Faustina, Divine Mercy in my Soul

Extend your mercy towards others, so that there can be no one in need whom you meet without helping. For what hope is there for us if God should withdraw His Mercy from us? --Saint Vincent de Paul

How happy I am to see myself imperfect and be in need of God's mercy.  --St Therese of the Child Jesus and the Holy Face, OCD

For there are three ways of performing an act of mercy: the merciful word, by forgiving and by comforting; secondly, if you can offer no word, then pray - that too is mercy; and thirdly, deeds of mercy. And when the Last Day comes, we shall be judged from this, and on this basis we shall receive the eternal verdict. (1158)--St Faustina

Know, My daughter, that between Me and you there is a bottomless abyss, an abyss which separates the Creator from the creature. But this abyss is filled with My mercy. (1576) --St Faustina, Divine Mercy in my Soul

Let our judgment of souls cease, for God's mercy upon them is extraordinary. (1684) --St Faustina

The saints are like the stars. In his providence Christ conceals them in a hidden place that they may not shine before others when they might wish to do so. Yet they are always ready to exchange the quiet of contemplation for the works of mercy as soon as they perceive in their heart the invitation of Christ. --Saint Anthony of Padua

And who has ever been able to comprehend the greatness of the divine mercies? David says, that God, even while yet angry, feels compassion for us: You have been angry, and have had mercy on us. "O merciful wrath, which are enkindled only to rescue, and threaten only to pardon," exclaims the abbot Beroncosius. "You have shown," continues David, "you have shown Your people hard things, You have made us drunk with the wine of sorrow." God reveals himself to us armed with a scourge, but he does so in order to see us repentant and contrite for the offences which we are committing against him: You have given a warning to them that fear You: that they may flee before the bow: that Your beloved may be delivered. He appears with the bow already bent, upon the point of sending off the arrow, but he does not send it off, because he wishes that our terror should bring about amendment, and that thus we should escape the chastisement. That Your beloved may be delivered.  - St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori

In what can I hope, then, or in whom ought I trust, save only in the great mercy of God and the hope of heavenly grace?  --Imitation of Christ

The merciful God wished to spare you in His goodness and made these things known beforehand and He did not keep silence concerning it; you should therefore have importuned God and escaped His terrible wrath. For once upon a time when the Ninevites were warned by the prophet that destruction threatened them, they escaped it by repenting. I was not vexed by the thought that God's mercy might prove me to be a false prophet; for I had as an example the prophet who was angry because of the gourd; and now I beg you bear with gratitude that which God has sent. For a master is most truly served when he sees his servant bearing chastisement gratefully; and then he deems him worthy not only of his former honour but even of greater by reason of his goodwill towards him. - St. Daniel the Stylite

Photo taken from Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in our blog! Your comment will be viewed shortly to be added to our blog. :)