Saturday, June 22, 2013

Christian Holiness Essentially Consists in This


Christian Holiness Essentially Consists in This

Christian holiness essentially consists in this:  in being a reflection of the holiness of God, which shines on the face of Christ. This is our duty, as Venerable Cardinal Newman emphasized in one of his meditations: 

"Stay with me, and then I shall begin to shine as you shine:  so to shine as to be a light to others. The light, O Jesus, will be all from you. None of it will be mine. No merit to me. It will be you who shines through me upon others....

Make me preach you without preaching - not by words, but by my example and by the catching force, the sympathetic influence, of what I do - by my visible resemblance to your saints, and the evident fullness of the love which my heart bears to you"

taken from Prayers, Verses and Devotion, John Henry Newman, 

Photo taken from Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in our blog! Your comment will be viewed shortly to be added to our blog. :)