Friday, June 21, 2013

The Penitent's Litany

Have mercy on me, O God, according to Thy great mercy. 
And according to the multitude of Thy tender mercies,
blot out my iniquity. (Psalm 50:3)

Lord, have mercy on me. 
Christ, have mercy on me. 
God the Father of Heaven, Have mercy on me. 
God the Son, Redeemer of the world, Have mercy on me. 
God the Holy Ghost, Perfecter of the elect, Have mercy on me. 
Holy Trinity, one God, Have mercy on me. 

O God, Who by the voice of Thy prophets and Apostles 
dost call upon us incessantly to be converted and to abandon our evil ways, 
Have mercy on me.

O Divine Saviour, Jesus Christ, 

Who didst Thyself come on earth to call sinners to repentance, 
Have mercy on me.

O Jesus, the Good Shepherd,

Who didst come among us to seek and to save the lost sheep, 
Have mercy on me.

O Jesus, 
Who hast declared that unless we do penance, 
we shall perish everlastingly, Have mercy on me.

O Jesus, Who desirest not the death of the sinner, 

but that he be converted and live, 
Have mercy on me.

O Jesus, Who hast assured us that there shall be joy in Heaven 

over one sinner that is converted and does penance, 
Have mercy on me.

O Jesus, Who, in the example of the prodigal son returning home 

to the bosom of his father, hast inspired us with confidence in Thy tenderness, 
Have mercy on me.

O Jesus, Who for the sake and salvation of sinners 

wast pleased to undergo so many hardships, abors and fatigues, 
Have mercy on me.

O Jesus, Who didst not refuse to receive publicans and public sinners, 

in order to draw them to repentance, 
Have mercy on me.

O Jesus, Who callest upon us to be converted to Thee 

with all our hearts, Have mercy upon me,   
O Lord, and hear my prayer.

Have mercy upon me, O Lord, and hear my petition. 

From all evil, Deliver me, O Lord.
From all sin, Deliver me, O Lord.
From the spirit of impenitence and from all hardness of heart, Deliver me, O Lord. 

From final impenitence, Deliver me, O Lord. 

By Thy Baptism and holy fasting, Deliver me, O Lord.
By Thy labors and sorrows, Deliver me, O Lord.
By the merits of Thy Precious Blood, which Thou hast shed for my sins, 

Deliver me, O Lord. 

On the Day of Judgment, Deliver me, O Lord. 

That Thou would vouchsafe in Thy mercy 
to create in me a new heart and a new mind,
I beseech Thee to hear me, O Lord. 

That Thou would vouchsafe to conduct me to true repentance,
I beseech Thee to hear me, O Lord. 

That as I have imitated the Prodigal in his sins, 
so may I also imitate him in his sorrow, I beseech Thee to hear me, O Lord

That as I am the lost sheep, so Thou, as the Good Shepherd, 
deign kindly to carry me back to the fold upon Thy shoulders, 
I beseech Thee to hear me, O Lord

That as hitherto I have served iniquity unto iniquity, 
so henceforth I may serve justice unto sanctification, 
I beseech Thee to hear me, O Lord

That I may cultivate all the virtues of the truly penitent and bring forth fruits worthy of piety, 
I beseech Thee to hear me, O Lord

That for the time to come, renouncing all impiety and worldly desires,
I may live chastely, soberly and innocently, I beseech Thee to hear me, O Lord

That Thou wilt give me the grace and courage to resist my passions, to bend my will to obedience to Thy laws, and to crucify my flesh with its vices and concupiscences, 
I beseech Thee to hear me, O Lord

That, like the prudent virgins in the Gospel, I may be always watchful, that I may cherish prayer and that I may cultivate industry, That I may with confidence have recourse to the throne of grace, that thus I may obtain grace in seasonable aid, I beseech Thee to hear me, O Lord

That Thou wouldst not deal with me according to my sins, but in Thine infinite tenderness, have pity upon me, I beseech Thee to hear me, O Lord

That I may so purify myself by penance and by the sufferings of this life as to avoid those torments which are reserved for the impenitent hereafter, I beseech Thee to hear me, O Lord

O Lamb of God, Who takest away the sins of the world, Spare me, O Lord. 
O Lamb of God, Who takest away the sins of the world, Graciously hear me, O Lord. 
O Lamb of God, Who takest away the sins of the world, Have mercy upon me, O Lord. 

Let Us Pray
O God, Who willest not the death of the sinner, but that he be converted and live, vouchsafe in Thy mercy to look down in compassion upon my misery and my weakness, in order that, remembering that I am only dust and ashes and that soon, in punishment for my sins, I must return to dust and ashes again, I may thus be prepared to receive the pardon of my manifold offenses and receive that recompense which Thou hast promised to the penitent, through Jesus Christ Our Lord. Amen. 

O Father of Mercies and Tender Physician of our Souls, I have grievously sinned against Thee, and I am no longer worthy to be called Thy child. I have repaid Thy benefits with ingratitude and Thy graces with neglect. I have merited Thy displeasure and have deserved the heavy weight of Thy punishments. Deeply aware of this, my unhappy state, behold, I now present myself before Thee to implore Thy pardon. Pardon me then, O God of Love, and remember not the sins of my past life. Remember only that Thou art my Father and that I am still Thy child. Thy mercy still exceeds the greatness of my misery. Wherefore, O God, unworthy sinner that I am, I will not cease to confide in Thee. In Thee, O Lord, I have trusted; let me not be confounded forever. I propose from henceforth daily to bewail my past ingratitude, and I now make at Thy feet the firm resolution never more to offend Thee mortally, and to fly with the most prudent care from all those occasions which I know by experience are dangerous to my weakness. By the help of Thy grace, I will adopt the securest means of overcoming my passions and of subduing my evil habits, through Jesus Christ Our Lord. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in our blog! Your comment will be viewed shortly to be added to our blog. :)